Welcome to Pitt Meadows Secondary!
Important Dates for 2017-2018 Grade 8 Registration
Grade 7 to 8 Registration and Transition:
Registration opens Feb. 15 at noon
School Information Sessions
Jan. 31 – 7:00 pm – Pitt Meadows Secondary
Feb. 1 – 7:00 pm – Maple Ridge Secondary
Feb. 2 – 7:00 pm- Thomas Haney
Feb. 7 – 7:00 pm -Garibaldi
Feb 8 – 7:00 pm Samuel Robertson
Feb. 8 – 7:00 pm Westview
Student Support Services Information Evening – Jan. 24 at 7:00pm
Registration – Opens Feb 15 at noon closes March 1 on parent portal
-minutes count if you do not want your catchment school
-cannot register from out of country
Transfer Dates – all dates are posted on website – first transfer window opens April 3
-Appeals are generally considered after the transfer process. However, if you believe there are extenuating circumstances make sure the principal of the school your child is assigned to is aware.
-Sometime this process may go into September
Grade 7 Visit – May 31 – most of the school day – exact times announced by school
April to June – process to support grade 7/8 transition
What is needed for Registration
- You are linked to the portal
- 1st and 2nd choice of schools
All of the schools provide an optional opportunity for students to come in generally a day in the last week of August to get a locker, go through the school, etc. You may wish to consider this when planning summer vacation.
New Grade 8s – we hope you can join us on September 1st at 1pm for a Welcome to PMSS event. More information to follow soon.
Here is some information you may need to know. More Questions? Contact Ms. Umlah (the Grade 8 Counsellor for 2016/2017): 604-465-7141 or by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Grade 8 Registration Process | SD42
Please be sure to look at the SD 42 from the most up to date information
The district is charged with managing enrollment at all schools and ensuring that enrollment numbers align with capacity at each school. This management assists in providing optimum learning environments for all students across the district.
School District No.42 has an open boundary policy that allows flexibility in choice regarding which secondary school students may attend “where space and facility is determined to be available” (School Act section 74.1 Section 6).
Ideally we try to give every student his or her first choice of school. Should this not occur, families may access the transfer process. If you have any questions, please contact your elementary school or the high school. We wish everyone a successful transition from grade 7 to grade 8.
District Grade 8 registration procedures
- Registration for grade 8 for the 2016/17 school year will be done on the parent portal. Registration will open on Wednesday, February 17, 2016, at 12:00 noon. (**Please note: any students currently not attending a school in SD42 will not be able to register online and must complete a paper registration form at the District Education Office prior to March 7, 2016, to be included in placement decisions impacting staffing for September 2016. After March 7th, they register at their catchment high school.)
- The online registration form will automatically populate with your child’s secondary catchment school. This is determined by your address (not your elementary school). You can check the School District website http://www.sd42.ca for your catchment school. Please note that new development areas may not reflect accurate results of your catchment school. Please call and confirm with the school if necessary. Families will be able to request their first three choices of schools. Registration numbers are limited by capacity. Details regarding acceptance criteria are noted below.
- Out-of-catchment registrations may be restricted by the limits of the school facility size (as described above) and staffing. The district will accommodate in catchment registrations first and then attempt to accommodate sibling out of catchment registrations; however, sibling placement cannot be guaranteed. Please refer to the acceptance criteria below.
- All Grade 8 online registration must be completed by 12:00 noon on February 24, 2016.
- Date and time will be a factor after catchment and sibling students are placed.
- When a school is declared full if registration did not occur by February 24, 2016, students may not get their catchment school.
- Parents will be notified as soon as possible as to where their child is assigned. We hope to let parents know before Spring Break.
- Transfers between schools (i.e. families changing their minds) after the February 19th deadline require the transfer process, as staffing for schools is established based upon registrations as of this date. Transfer forms are available at the secondary schools. Building space and available staffing limit this process. For grade 7s only, a review of transfer requests will be completed before the grade 7 orientation dates in May.
All high schools have provided up to date information on their web sites should you wish to know more about programs being offered specific to the school.
Acceptance Criteria for prioritizing placement
Grade 8 to 12 registrations shall be prioritized on the following basis:
- in catchment area students who, in the previous year, attended the school;
- in catchment area students who, in the previous year, were ‘placed’ by the district in a different school;
- siblings of in catchment area students;
- new in catchment area students;
- siblings of out of catchment area students currently enrolled in the school;
- out of catchment area students who request to attend the school which is other than their catchment area school;
- out of district students.
The information system used to register all students does not accept students in more than one school. If students attempt to register in more than one school, the system will default back to their catchment school.